3 Tips for Preventing and Managing Slip & Fall Claims
Slip and falls injuries on your property can add up quickly. Luckily we have some pointers on how to manage this risk. Taking the right steps can save on liability and workers’ compensation claims. Follow our tips below to get started:
- Flooring – Flooring can drastically reduce the odds of a slip and fall. There are many products on the market from commercial grade carpeting to slip resistant flooring that doesn’t utilize wax. Opting for one of these options helps reduce slips related to weather and spills.
- Inclement Weather – Proper precautions during snow and rain can help avoid a slip and fall or a fraudulent slip and fall. Make sure to keep walkways, driveways, parking lots and all public spaces free from snow and water. Make sure to salt and keep entrances and exits dry with entrance mats. If you hire out your snow removal, make sure that you’re working with a company that monitors your space and has a continued plan for additional snow, and melting and refreezing of ice. Check to see how they set their priority and what times they’ll be out to do the work. With the average pay out of over $10,000 on a slip and fall claim, you want to ensure this is a top priority.
- Certificate of Insurance – Double check that your broker is reviewing the certificate of insurance and ensuring the proper risk transfer is in place. The organization that is utilizing the contractor should be listed as an additional insured. Upfront signed contracts are important as well. They should have “hold harmless” wording in place. Ensure the contractor isn’t using outside sub-contractors. If they are, make sure that you’ve verified their certificate of insurance and contract as well.
The goal is to minimize slip and fall claims, injuries, as well as manage a program that’s effective. As an additional precaution, you can remind your employees and visitors to walk like a penguin. Protect yourself and integrate the suggestions above into your risk management program. For additional direction, notify an ‘A’ Team expert today.
- Winter Safety: Walk Like a Penguin
- Workers' Compensation E-Book
- Preventing Harm: Slips, Trips and Falls
- Winter Weather to Blame for Spike in Midwestern Workers' Comp Claims
- Time to Suit Up for Winter Weather
ABOUT THE AUTHOR