5 Tips to Reach Your Fitness Goals
Most people go to some type of gym or fitness facility, even if for a short time during their lives. Admittedly I’ve belonged to the same gym for the last 10 years. I see a lot of the same people doing the same routine – and looking the same as they have for the past 10 years.
There’s one member who, in the last six months, has made some dramatic improvements in his physique. One day, I stopped to ask him what his secret was to his physical transformation. Of course he said diet and nutrition makes up 80% of his success, but the other 20% came down to five key things. I’d like to share them with you here:
1. Set a measurable goal.
Goals such as “I want to be healthy” or “I want to lose weight” aren’t strong enough goals. A better goal is something more specific like, “I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week for the next four weeks.”
2. Have a plan.
Once you’ve created a goal, the next step is to create a plan that gets you to this goal. The plan should include exercises, intensity levels (e.g. 7 mph), rest breaks (e.g. 40 seconds between sets) and exercise tempo.
3. Mix it up.
Part of your plan should include mixing up the routine from time to time. This could mean lighter weights/higher reps, higher weights/lower reps, supersets or rest-pause techniques.
4. Avoid distractions when working out.
Leave your smartphone in the locker or even in your car. You don’t need it when you workout. You should be extremely focused on exercise, form, breathing technique, etc.
5. Pick a partner.
Friends can help increase your accountability and intensity by pushing each other. Besides, working out with someone is a lot more fun than working out alone.
Wellness and fitness can play a key role in the success and engagement of your employees, and it's important to model it from the top down. If you'd like to get going on your organization's wellness program, talk to the 'A' Team today.
- Leadership and the Keys to a Successful Wellness Program
- Start a Movement with Wellness Programs
- Winning with Wellness (Assurance University Webinar Replay)
- A Good Benefits Education Strategy Can Boost Engagement
ABOUT THE AUTHOR