8 Workplace Wellness Tips for Not for Profits
When thinking about wellness programs, many smaller, not for profit companies automatically assume they “can’t afford that right now.” However, workplace wellness programs aren’t just for larger companies with substantial budgets. It’s also important to target smaller companies, as wellness efforts have proven to:
- Improve company morale and productivity
- Reduce overall healthcare costs
- Retain and attract employees
Though your organization may not be able to fund a comprehensive wellness program, there are low or even no-cost ways to improve the health and wellness of your employees. Here are eight ideas to consider:
- Ask a local hospital or healthcare provider to come and provide presentations to your employees on living health lifestyles.
- Ask your broker if your health insurance carrier offers free health risk assessments – most do.
- Create a wellness committee consisting of various employees to lead the effort. Start with simple activities, such as healthy eating days and lunchtime walks.
- Make your workplace smoke-free.
- Offer on-site flu shots for free or at a reduced cost.
- Provide healthy vending machine choices.
- Provide physical activity breaks during the day for your employees and encourage them to go outside for a quick run or walk. Encourage your employees to take the stairs instead of using the elevator.
- Provide educational materials about the benefits of healthy eating, exercising, not smoking and other beneficial lifestyle changes.
By providing even the most basic wellness programs, employers are able create a better environment for their employees. Have you started thinking about your wellness program for 2015? Consult with us today for a variety of wellness tools and tips. There’s still time to make a difference!
- The Power of One
- What Makes You ‘Tick’?
- The Power of Movement
- Effective Wellness Programs
- Wellness E-Book
ABOUT THE AUTHOR