Is an On-site Clinic Right for Your Employee Population?
Top 8 Things to Know When Opening an On-site Clinic
When booking a physician appointment, the wait time has increased. As such, employees are often seeking more expensive sources for non-emergent acute care or may put off seeing a physician altogether. If they’re not seeing a physician, an acute condition may become more critical, resulting in increased claim costs, lost productivity or an increase in absenteeism.
One solution for acute medical needs may be the addition of an on-site clinic. On-site clinics can be an attractive benefit for employees as there’s no need to miss work or use personal time to receive care. Also, with on-site clinics, there’s no extended wait time for an employee to see a doctor.
With the addition of on-site clinics, employers should see a reduction in claim costs as clinics are less expensive than an office, ER or urgent care visit. Also, employers will have more control over certain avoidable costs, such as unnecessary use of the ER, prescriptions or possible hospital admissions for employees that are unable to receive care before their condition worsens. On-site clinics are best suited for large employers and can be especially beneficial for employers with varying production shifts.
Things to keep in mind:
- Keep in mind set-up and the ongoing costs to manage and operate a clinic.
- Decide how the clinic will be staffed (e.g. physician, nurse practitioner, RN or LPN).
- Decide on what services you want to offer.
- Set clinic hours based on employee shifts or hours before, during and after work.
- Make it easily accessible to employees.
- Provide ample parking.
- Review what’s being offered at the clinic to ensure there’s no violation of HSA eligibility (if offering a HDHP/HSA).
- Implement a process to protect employees’ personal health information and privacy.
Once established, the clinic should be a positive addition for the employer and employees. Contact the ‘A’ Team for more information about on-site clinics.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR