COVID-19 Safety Alert for Restaurant, Food and Beverage Businesses Providing Curbside Pickup and Takeout Service
On May 1st, 2020, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has issued an alert with safety tips for restaurants and food and beverage businesses to protect their workers from coronavirus exposure while they provide curbside pickup and takeout service.
If you are in the restaurant or beverage industry and offer takeout or curbside pickup services during the COVID-19 pandemic, the following 11 tips can help reduce workers’ risk of exposure to the coronavirus:
- Encourage workers to stay home if they are sick.
- Avoid direct hand-off, when possible.
- Display a door or sidewalk sign with the services available (e.g., take-out, curbside), instructions for pickup, and hours of operation.
- Reserve parking spaces near the front door for curbside pickup only.
- Train workers in proper hygiene practices and the use of workplace controls.
- Allow workers to wear masks over their nose and mouth to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Provide a place to wash hands and alcohol-based hand rubs containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Routinely clean and disinfect surfaces and equipment with Environmental Protection Agency approved cleaning chemicals from List N or that have label claims against the coronavirus.
- Practice sensible social distancing by maintaining six feet between co-workers and customers. Mark six-foot distances with floor tape in pickup lines, encourage customers to pay ahead of time by phone or online,
- temporarily move workstations to create more distance, and install plexiglass partitions, if feasible.
- Encourage workers to report any safety and health concerns.
List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2: List N
We’ll continue to communicate updates as we receive them. If you have any OSHA or COVID-19 concerns, contact your safety advocate.
- OSHA's Temporary Enforcement Guidance on Respiratory Protection Fit-Testing
- OSHA's Enforcement Response Plan for COVID-19
- Coronavirus Resources
- COVID-19 & the Potential Impacts on the Insurance Market
- Video: 3 Steps to an OSHA Inspection
ABOUT THE AUTHOR