Fundamental Safety Tips Pool Owners Should Know
Understanding Your Liability as a Homeowner
You might have seen in the news famed Olympic alpine skier Bode Miller and his wife Morgan suffered the tragic loss of their 19-month-old daughter from a drowning accident in a neighbor’s pool. Country singer Granger Smith also lost his young son in a pool incident in 2019. Unfortunately, this isn’t an isolated incident. Statistics show that among unintentional injuries, drowning is the second leading cause of death among children five and under.
Here are some tips to keep the pool both fun and safe this summer, while understanding your liability as a homeowner:
To Minimize Drowning Risks:
- Install safety fences around the pool with a locked latch and place a cover over the pool when it’s not in use.
- At all times, supervise the swimmers within your pool.
- Keep lifesaving equipment near the pool and learn how to properly use it.
- Do not allow swimmers to roughhouse or do dangerous tricks within the pool.
To Minimize Disease Risks:
- Keep the pool water properly filtered and chemically treated.
- Do not allow swimmers to drink pool water.
- Keep pets out of the pool.
- Do not allow swimmers with open wounds or illnesses to go in the water.
- Do not allow babies to swim unless they are wearing swim diapers.
To Minimize Chemical Risks:
- Avoid over-shocking the pool; keep chemicals at the proper levels.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions carefully when adding chemicals to the pool or filtration system.
- Store chemicals in a cool, dry place where they are away from fire hazards and lawn care products.
As the homeowner, you’re liable for the safety of all swimmers. To ensure that you can adequately protect people on your property, consider taking lifeguarding, CPR and first aid courses, in order to effectively perform in an emergency. You can also make sure your private insurance has you covered in case it’s necessary.
- Private Insurance Flyer
- Want to Build a Dream House?
- Insure Smooth Sailing
- Are You Covered If Your Housekeeper Sues You?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR