How Healthcare Staffing Companies Can Improve the Candidate Experience
Whether your healthcare staffing firm maintains its contracts directly with clients and/or through a VMS/MSP channel, in today’s scarce labor market there are a limited number of strategies to deploy to attract and retain talent. Aside from the obvious concept of offering your candidate a pay raise, how else can a staffing firm secure its talent?
Best-in-class healthcare staffing companies make their candidate experience a priority. In today’s economic landscape of record-low unemployment and record-high job growth and turnover, a candidate’s experience can make or break your talent acquisition and retention efforts. The demand for skilled clinical talent is high and candidates will rarely settle for a mediocre experience.
Whether a candidate is in the application/interview process, or has accepted and completed a specific contract, there are several areas that affect their experience:
- Company culture
- Application process
- Credentialing/onboarding process
- Benefits and perks
- Wellness programs
Let’s take a deeper dive into the last two bullets: 1) benefits and perks and 2) wellness programs.
Benefits and Perks
It’s important to determine what benefits and perks will be meaningful for your audience prior to implementation. Employee surveys and your insurance broker are great resources for what’s trending in the marketplace.
Once implemented, highlight these benefits and perks on your website and various other recruiting sites. Internal recruiters should also be well-trained on how to adequately explain the value these benefits can provide to the overall compensation package.
Here are just a few ideas to differentiate your offerings from competitors:
- Provide first day coverage
- Increase employer contributions toward insurance premiums
- Offer unique, industry-specific voluntary benefit options for more personalization
- Pet insurance
- Student loan reimbursement
- Small personal loans
- Legal insurance
- Identity theft protection
- Leverage Health Savings Accounts for greater control over premiums and healthcare usage
- Implement a rewards program that recognizes positive, healthy behavior
- Implement employee engagement and appreciation platforms to boost morale
- Offer days off for volunteering and/or a charitable match
- Provide internal staff with greater flexibility, including unlimited paid time-off
Wellness programs improve the health of your population, which can lower claims costs especially for companies planning to or already in a self-funded benefits plan. While it can be tough to institute a wellness program for a dispersed workforce or multiple locations, here are some ideas for both your internal & external staff:
- Use biometric screenings to implement programs and education specific to your population’s health demographics and potential chronic illnesses
- This can be done on-site or at local testing centers for dispersed employees
- Screening data can help identify potential claims for self-funded plans
- Promote the insurance carrier’s perks, which often include discounted gym memberships across the U.S.
- Use your insurance broker for employee health education and content
- Implement an online points-based wellness portal to track employee progress, create healthy lifestyle habits, and offer rewards for reaching measurable milestones
At a minimum, open enrollment and employee onboarding should be used to promote wellness programs offered by the health insurance carrier. These can easily be “branded” as your company benefits as well.
Overall Candidate Experience
Why invest in a “best-in-class” candidate experience? Compare the costs of your investment to the lost revenue from candidates that signed with a competitor, as well as the loss of opportunity to then re-deploy that candidate after their first assignment is completed. Losing out on candidates severely increases your costs to recruit additional talent. After all, the most powerful way to promote your company is through word of mouth.
If you need help creating a well-rounded candidate experience, register for our August 13 Assurance University webinar on Strategies to Attract and Retain Talent in the Staffing Industry.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR