How to Prevent General Liability Claims in Road Construction
Road construction projects increase between the months of April and November. The increase in work creates an increase in potential claims. Everyone has come across road construction projects at some point in their lives whether it’s driving to work or during a walk with the family dog. Road construction can create an inconvenience, especially if an accident occurs causing bodily injury or damage to someone’s property. Road contractors clearly don’t intend for an injury or property damage to occur. But if an incident does occur, general liability insurance helps ensure their businesses are protected.
General Liability Insurance
General liability insurance is protection for your business in the event a third-party makes a claim against it. Daily, road contractor work is susceptible to potential claims and litigation based on the work performed or the work completed. General liability insurance covers a variety of claims including:
- Injuries on a contractor’s property or job site such as slips, trips or falls
- Bodily injury or property damage to a third-party caused by a contractor’s work or employee's activities
- Bodily injury or damage to another's property arising from a defect in the contractor’s work
So, what can contractors do to prevent general liability claims? Below are preventative measures contractors can take to reduce general liability claims:
- Ensure there’s proper housekeeping onsite to keep the job site clean and clear of slip, trip, fall hazards.
- Take pictures and notes of the site every day and during different phases of the job. If a claim arises, photos and notes from the job will help defend your position.
- Use proper signage, barricades or warnings to keep unauthorized third parties out of the job site.
- Ensure employees are completing the work correctly and not rushing through the job. Faulty work can open contractors up to future completed product claims.
- Inspect materials and finished work for defects.
- Train flaggers to direct traffic in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure subcontractors are aware of job site hazards while they’re completing work on site.
For more information on general liability claims in the road construction industry, please contact your Assurance Safety Advocate.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR