Let's Get Physical
When it comes to healthcare in the U.S., a lot has changed since 2010. There are several different opinions in relation to these changes, but one thing people can’t argue is how great it is that preventative care is now paid at 100 percent. That’s right – your physical/wellness checkup/whatever you call the annual visit to your doctor to make sure all is well is now fully covered.
However, the reality is many people believe they’re healthy and therefore, avoid taking advantage of a “free” benefit. I took it upon myself to do my own research. I asked 20 of my colleagues how many of them had an annual physical. 45 percent of my colleagues had an annual physical. Then, I asked how many made sure their car was serviced that same year. Take a guess. Yes, 90 percent – double the amount who saw their doctor. Something seems a little backwards here, right?
So here’s the reality, one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and your family is to get an annual physical. Take control of your health and understand what’s going on with…you. It’s important, and here’s why:
- Your health is your greatest asset – make it a priority by taking time for you.
- Establishing a relationship with your physician – not only for the annual physicals, but when sickness or illness arises, it’s much better working with a doctor who knows you.
- Overall awareness – understand if there are any issues or health related problems.
- Catch issues early – by seeing your doctor regularly, the likelihood of catching any issues is much greater, which means a greater chance of fixing the issue.
- Set a good example – by taking this step, you could positively impact those who are important in your life.
Although some may view a visit to the doctor as a nuisance, the peace of mind it can give definitely outweighs the one hour per year hassle. If you haven’t yet, pick up the phone and call your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor, now’s the time to find one. Ask a friend or check the internet – I promise, you’ll thank me, and so will your family!
- Know It. Prevent It. Do It.
- Using Incentives in Wellness Programs
- Wellness ROI & Beyond Webinar Replay
- Wellness E-Book
ABOUT THE AUTHOR