Mid-Year Update: Wellness Program Trends
This is my favorite time of year. This is the time when my world gets in the spotlight – personally and professionally. January’s New Year’s resolutions are in full swing with goals of exercising more, eating better, drinking more water – we’ve all been here at some point. This is also the time when companies do a bit of self-reflection and strategize how wellness can fit into their overall game plan next year, or how to beef up the program they currently have in place.
Looking into my crystal ball, here are the top trends we can expect to see for the last half of 2015 when it comes to worksite wellness:
- Efforts to make wellness more personal. Out with the blanket programs and in with programs that can get down to the individual level. The more we do this, the more behavior change we can expect. Think 1:1 dietitian sessions, connecting employees with personal physicians, 1:1 coaching sessions, etc.
- Emphasis on ‘financial wellness.' Employees have a need to understand and be more knowledgeable in areas outside of 401(k) education, such as paying off a mortgage, investing, estate planning, saving for children’s college, etc. The workplace is proving to be a great avenue for this education. Did I mention the added benefit of stress reduction with this one?
- Leveraging activity devices. We’re living in a world full of high-tech wellness devices – FitBit, Jawbone, MisFit, Garmin. Employers will be seeking ways to integrate these devices into their overall wellness program.
- Data integration. Getting our hand on data is no longer a “want to have” – it’s a “need to have.” This year, there will be an even tighter focus on the ability to integrate data from all sources of an employer’s benefit plan – medical, workers’ compensation, etc.. A true integration of data will offer a crystal clear picture of your population with the potential to provide predictive modeling on future costs.
If you have additional questions on maximizing your wellness program, reach out to an ‘A’ Team member and get your workforce healthy!
- Wellness ROI & Beyond Webinar Replay
- Maximizing Wellness Program Engagement Webinar Replay
- The Power of Movement
ABOUT THE AUTHOR