Plant Your Church and Protect Its Growth
The local church’s foundation is built upon a simple concept: to spread the news about their religion to the community. One effective way to spread the news is to plant – or establish – new churches either from scratch, from current established churches or through church planting organizations.
Today, there are over 1,800 new churches planted in the United States. There are many components to planting a new church including searching for the best leadership, funding, developing a game plan for determining the best location and size, purchasing contents & sound equipment and purchasing the best solution for church protection.
Many new church plants address the protection issue last as it can be costly, but necessary. Additionally, many new church plants feel there are not many assets and people to start with, therefore the exposures are very low. This couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Whether you are an established church, or thinking about planting a new church, there are practical steps to take to protect your efforts along the way by:
1. Contacting an insurance professional that specializes in the church world. Determine what carrier relationships and resources are available.
2. Identifying what exposures exist when starting the church and what assets you feel are worthy of protecting.
3. Understanding that the minimum protection for the church includes the following coverage:
- Workers Compensation – covers employees
- Commercial Liability – protects the church from 3rd party suits
- Automobiles – covers church vehicles including vans
- Equipment – covers church scheduled high value items both on and off the premise
- Property – covers the church assets
- Umbrella liability – provides additional excess liability coverage
- Sexual abuse and professional liability
4. Considering additional coverage: Directors & Officers Liability, Cyber Liability, Media Liability and Crime
There are two ways you can purchase this protection:
- Stand alone insurance program specifically for your church
- Coverage through a master program provided through your denomination or church planting organization.
The local church will continue to expand throughout the world, and as it expands, attacks will present itself. Take note that whether you are an established or new church, the exposures exist and require protection to enable you to fulfill your church’s mission.
For more information on church liability and the Protection Ministry, chat with us.
- Ready or Not, Here I Come
- Counseling and the Local Church
- The Hidden Epidemic: Abuse
- What the Church and Target Have in Common
ABOUT THE AUTHOR