Speed of the Leader, Speed of the Team
Risk Management Protocols to Protect Church Leaders
The phrase used in the title – coined by one of the most influential leaders in the church world – is powerful and loaded with great responsibility. Without leadership nothing moves forward. The leader sets the course of success or failure for any organization. Great responsibility, however, requires great protection. Over the years, I’ve found that within the faith-based world the areas of most concern and greatest vulnerability are:
- The Leaders – the head of the church
- The Volunteers – the heart of the church
- The Children – the feet of the church
Because the leader has the greatest influence, he or she is most susceptible to the threat of attacks. There is much at stake and protection is essential for your faith based organization. Many of the greatest church leaders have fallen from various types of threats including infidelity, burnout, pride, lack of accountability and physical confrontations.
To ensure better protection, safety and security for your key leaders, follow these practical risk management protocols:
- Conduct background screening: Perform background screening for any one desirous of leadership.
- Schedule accountability checks: Each leader should be assigned one key person (whether a board member, Elder or key personnel) who can meet with the leader on a periodic basis to discuss pressing issues, fears, insecurities, threats and concerns relative to their position. Having a “Nathan” (referring to 2 Samuel 12 in the Bible) will certainly prevent the leader from steering off the path.
- Ensure safety protection: High profile leaders need security and safety. Providing armed security guards during key times, whether subcontracted out to local police or employed by the church, assures greater physical protection.
- Create an escape plan: Identify strategic escape ways in the event of a threatening attack.
- Provide the best coverage: Provide adequate and comprehensive insurance coverage for key leaders and the church. Coverages include:
- Directors and Officers Liability
- Key Man Life Insurance Protection
- Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
- Kidnap and Ransom
- International Short and Long Term Travel Coverage
Leaders are targets and require the best and most comprehensive safety and security measures available. The cost of losing an effective leader is much higher than the cost to implement strategic risk management procedures and protocols.
Our faith based experts are ready to help your organization select the best coverage and minimize risk. Chat with us!
- The Heart of The Church: Volunteers
- The Risk Trinity: 3 Reasons Your Congregation Needs Injury Protection
- Counseling and the Local Church
- The Hidden Epidemic: Abuse
ABOUT THE AUTHOR