Staying Safe During a Medical Marijuana Hold-Up
Believe it or not, medical marijuana dispensaries are increasingly becoming targets for armed robberies. And, here are three reasons why:
- They often have a significant amount of cash on hand
- They deal in a product that cannot be obtained elsewhere (legally)
- They sell a product that has a high resale value
How you handle yourself while on the job can help reduce the chance for an incident. Even more importantly, how you handle yourself during a hold-up situation can prevent injury or death.
Since a prescription from a physician is needed to purchase medical marijuana, those without a prescription should never be allowed into any area where products are displayed or transactions occur. Aggressively regulating entry can help reduce opportunity.
However, even when employees take all the proper precautions, there’s still chance a robbery could occur. Help your employees by sharing procedures they can follow, should the unthinkable robbery happen at work:
- Try to remain as calm as possible. This will go a long way in keeping others around you, and the robber, calm.
- Comply with the robber’s instructions.
- Announce your actions to the robber, so they’re not threatened by your movements.
- Give them any money or goods that they ask for without resistance, but don’t offer up other things they haven’t mentioned.
- Make mental notes about the robber’s appearance so you can inform police.
- Never attempt to physically stop an armed robber.
- When the robber leaves, secure the building as soon as it is safely possible.
Do what you can to make sure you stay safe during a dangerous situation – don’t try to be a hero. Your first priority should be to make sure everyone on the premises remains safe by trying to bring the situation to an end as quickly as possible.
On the flip side of the equation, preventing employee theft can also limit your exposure to loss. For more information on the relationship between employee engagement and employee theft, check out our blog post.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR