What Makes You 'Tick'?
In life, there are things that make us ‘tick’ for nearly everything we set out to do. There’s a motivational reason behind the things we work toward and set out to accomplish, and that reason is different for everyone! This is an important concept to keep in mind when it comes to maximizing engagement in your wellness program. Enter: wellness incentives.
Incentives are a critical piece to the puzzle, especially in the beginning when you are trying to generate participation (more engagement = higher impact). The sky’s the limit in terms of the types of incentives you can offer, and my biggest piece of advice for you is to find out what motivates your employees. There are traditional incentives like gift cards, merchandise, cash and reduced medical premiums that can be quite effective at generating participation. There are also some new, creative ideas that are starting to stick. Some of these include:
- Increased company contributions to Health Savings Accounts
- Paid day(s) off – “Wellness Day”
- High-tech activity devices – FitBit, Jawbone, etc.
- One-on-one time with CEO or other executives
- Weekend getaways
- Spa days or gym memberships
- Dress down or casual days
Don’t know what motivates your employees? Ask! Simply sending out a survey to gauge what makes your population ‘tick’ can provide you with incredibly valuable feedback that will help maximize engagement in your program efforts.
And if you’re wondering what value wellness programs can bring to your organization, watch our free Assurance University webinar replay “Wellness ROI and Beyond.”
- Maximizing Wellness Program Engagement Webinar Recording
- Making the Business Case for Wellness
- What’s Wellness Got To Do With It?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR