Worst Case Scenario Savior: EPLI
According to the Washington Times, Jill Finken, a prosecutor who worked under the U.S. attorney for Nebraska, recently filed a lawsuit claiming she was discriminated against because she’s a woman. Not even the U.S. attorney’s office can avoid the inevitability of alleged misconduct that resulted in a lawsuit.
Your business should take a hard look at whether it can afford to defend itself against alleged wrongful employment practices accusations. If not, there’s an insurance solution. Employment practices liability protects against wrongful termination, discrimination (age, sex, race, disability, etc.) or sexual harassment suits from your current, prospective or former employees. This coverage applies to directors, officers and employees and can sometimes extend to third party liabilities.
Why Choose Employment Practices Liability Insurance
According to researchers, three out of five employers will be sued by a prospective, current or former employee while in business. While many suits are groundless, defending against them is costly and time-consuming.
Employment practices liability insurance provides protection from the following wrongful employment practices, including:
- Actual or alleged wrongful dismissal, discharge or termination
- Employment-related misrepresentation
- Employment-related libel, slander, humiliation, defamation or invasion of privacy
- Wrongful failure to employ or promote
- Wrongful deprivation of a career opportunity, wrongful demotion or negligent evaluation
- Wrongful discipline
- Vicarious liability for intentional acts
- Punitive damages
Many policies offer the following inclusions and add-ons:
- Consultation, HR assistance and other risk management consultative services
- Coverage for defense costs outside the policy limits (for qualifying risks)
- Third party liability coverage (for qualifying risks)
- Wage and Hour Coverage for claims alleging wage and hour violations
- Volunteer workers added as additional insureds
- Extended reporting periods may be added
To learn more about how to protect your business with EPLI insurance, chat with an ‘A’ Team member today and get covered!
- EPL Insurance Covers Much More than Your Employees
- Seven Tips for Preventing EPL Claims
- Order of Events: Submitting Potential EPLI Claims
- Employment Practices Liability Webinar Replay
- Professional Services Blog
- Professional Services Industry Page
- Professional Services Webinar Replays
- Professional Services Library Resources
ABOUT THE AUTHOR